Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mature Looking

I've recently discovered that I no longer look young. All my life people have guessed that I was three to four years younger that I actually was and, when I was twelve, it was mortifying. Understandably, older people like to be younger but always forgot that this was not a good thing for those who were actually in that state of being. Conversations always went like the following:

Stranger: How old are you?

Me: Sixteen.

Stranger: Really? I thought you were twelve.

Sadly, they always said it as if it was a compliment. The only positive that I could see out of said conversations was that I'd always look young. But now I'm 26 and already my youth has faded since no one cards me! It's a recent development that I always connected with the fact that being in Matt's company made me look older. We're married, so obviously she's over 21. But now it's happening all the time! I go to restaurants, stores, anywhere and no one asks for my ID. Aren't they supposed to check until you look 30 plus. Do I look 30 plus? I asked this question to a young checker, and he said I looked mature. What the heck does that mean? Mature as a good thing or mature as getting older? Oh, sad day!

No comments:

Post a Comment